Thursday, May 17, 2012

Recipe: Artichoke and Mozzarella Calzone

I had this AMAZING vegetarian calzone with my sister at a little pizza place in Seattle. (I don't even remember the name of the restaurant, but boy was that calzone good!)

Now I'm a meat lover! I eat it all the time. =) But my sister wanted to try this, so I agreed to branch out and try something new. I was in love. So the other day I tried to recreate it.
I was pleased with the result, so I thought I'd share it with you.

INGREDIENTS:
Homemade pizza crust
1 cup (approximately) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tomato cut into chunks
5 or 6 marinated artichoke hearts cut into small chunks (I bought a small jar at the store)
4 to 6 tablespoons pesto
Cornmeal (I didn't have any, so I didn't use this on the ones I made)
Tablespoon olive oil

1. Divide your dough into two equal portions. Roll each section out in a circle onto individual baking stones. (I cover my baking stones with parchment paper)
2. Lightly sauté the tomatoes in olive oil (I didn't do this, but the fresh tomatoes leaked way to much juice onto the baking stone and made the bottom crust soggy)
3. Combine the cheese, tomatoes, artichoke heart chunks, and pesto in a bowl. Mix them together.
4. Spoon half of the mixture onto each of the rolled out pizza crusts, leave 3/4 of an inch around the edge.
5. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch down the edges creating a nice half-moon shaped calzone.
6. Using a knife, cut 3 or 4 large slits in the top of the calzone.
7. Sprinkle with cornmeal and bake in an oven (preheated to 350*) for 10-15 minutes.
8. Let cool slightly, cut in half, and enjoy!

This makes 2 LARGE calzones. Neither my husband or I finished them in one sitting.

Sorry for the lack of photos. I was in a bit of a hurry. =P

Be blessed.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh...making me hungry over here! I am going to try that!
    I like your blog!
    have a great day!
    ~Morgan
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooooo good - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, definitely need to try this! Good job successfully recreating another recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm! This looks amazing. It has so many of my favorite ingredients too! Pesto on just about anything is great.

    ReplyDelete