Friday, May 11, 2012

I Made a Maxi Dress!

For those of you who have managed to find me on Instagram or Twitter, you may remember this picture of my fabric purchase last week!

Well, I used this SUPER SOFT knit to make a maxi dress!

I spent some time pinning different maxi dresses I liked.  Then I picked my favorite to copy cat...that was the hard part.  But I ended up sticking with my the dress that had inspired me to make my own in the first place.  This dress from LaPosh Style costs $45.



I couldn't justify spending that much.
So I made my own...for about $16!

The color is slightly lighter =(
But it is still beautiful!





It is not as gathered in the waist as the example photo.  Oops!
It was definitely a challenge to create a dress without a pattern.  I started off intending to make a tutorial...and then I made to many mistakes....
Maybe I'll come up with a short one...
Or maybe I'll make another one...
Or maybe one of you will buy the fabric and have me make one for you?

LOL!  We'll see if I can figure out a tutorial soon.

...

And then I had some fun with PicMonkey...  Seriously...airbrushing and adding lip color is 
SO MUCH FUN sometimes.  =P


I hope you like my dress...I love it!  And I love the fact that it covers my bandaged up ankle.
I developed shin splints.  =(
Have you bought or made a maxi dress this year?  I LOVE them!  Post a link to a picture of you in a maxi dress if you want.  I'd love to see it!

Be blessed!

Linking Up:

The 36th AVENUE



Photobucket



Freedom Fridays


12 comments:

  1. Pretty dress, good work. Please come share your talent at the Anything Goes linky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks just like the picture. I love it - do you want to make me one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I like the lighter blue better, anyways :) Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are braver than I. I've sewn for years but never without a pattern, at least not for clothing. It came out very nice, and I like your blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg i love it. you did a great job! can you make me one!? lol, stopping by and saying hi from the monday meet up at covered in grace. i love maxi dresses and knit anything because it's so soft, comfortable and stylish at the same time!

    britt
    beelittlequeen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a very talented young lady! Great job on your maxi dress. Thank you for linking up to Freedom Fridays and so hoping to see you next Friday:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great, Alesha! I own several maxi dresses from Target, but I've never tried making one myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute! I really need to make me a maxi dress! I love the color you chose. Thanks so much for entering this into the Project Pinterest Challenge. Best of luck to you!
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh fun! I wish I had the chops to make my own maxi dresses. If I did, I may never see my legs again, as I'd have way too many of them :)

    Britt
    The Secondhand Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi , I'm featuring your pretty maxi dress on tomorrow's post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress looks really pretty! I adore the long skirt, so perfect for summer..
    Hanni

    ReplyDelete