Monday, October 1, 2012

Healthy Apple Pie Minis

Healthy Apple Pie? Well...if you don't count all the butter I put into the crust... Haha!



Remember this sugar fast I'm doing?
Well, I can still have fruit and honey, and I've hit this point where I am ready to embrace the challenge but not give up on my sweet tooth.
So I figured, honey is sweet, why not make sweets with honey as my sweetener instead of sugar?

These were fabulous hot out of the oven! They would be even better with whipped cream or ice cream!
But hey, I'm not complaining! =)


APPLE PIE FILLING:
Ingredients:
2 Diced Apples (small cubes)
1/4 to 1/3 Cup Honey
1/2 - 1 tsp Vanilla
Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and Cloves to taste
A Pinch of Pumpkin Pie Spice

Instructions:
Combine and stir well. Let the mixture sit while you make the crust so that the flavors combine.

CRUST
Ingredients:
2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cube of Butter
1/2 Cube of Margarine
1 Cup of Ice Water

Instructions:
Sift flour and salt together.  Cut in the butter and margarine.  Pour in the ice water until the dough sticks together. Chill for an hour.

THEN...

FINALLY...

{Note: Edges should be turning brown very slightly}

I baked the first batch in my regular oven on a pizza stone and the second batch (pictured above) in my toaster oven. I think the toaster oven dried them out a bit, so I would definitely recommend doing it in the oven.


Enjoy!

Be blessed.
<3

3 comments:

  1. I personally consider butter to be healthy (I believe in full fat cooking), but my youngest is allergic. That looks really good otherwise. I may try this with a nondairy crust... maybe a mini version in muffin tins. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! If you are using real butter, then I would still call it healthy. I always use maple syrup in my apple and pear pies. Real Maple Syrup :) Never thought to use honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks sooooo good! I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete