Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Voices I Know

I attend a women's bible study on Tuesday nights at my church. It is a good time of teaching and fellowship, but last nights lesson was particularly impacting. The text was Psalm 29-31, but the part the stood out to me was from Psalm 29. Here are just a few of the verses...

"The voice of the Lord is over the waters; The God of glory thunders; The Lord is over many waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; The voice of the Lord is full of majesty." Psalm 29:3, 4 NKJV

The lady teaching this passage (who was one of my youth leaders when I was jn high school) pointed out that David knew God's voice. She challenged us, "Do you know God's voice?"

She reminded us of John 10 that talks about Jesus being our shepherd. In this passage, Jesus talks about how sheep recognize the voice of their shepherd. Look at these two verses...

"And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers." John 10:4, 5 NKJV

Once again, she challenged us, "Do we become so familiar with other voices that we no longer recognize them as a threat? Two voices she pointed out that we often listen to were:
- The voice of reason = Do we rationalize our way out of doing what God has called us to? Do we take the easy path instead of obeying God's word?
- The voice of condemnation or shane = Do we fail to live in the grace and freedom that is given us in Christ Jesus? Do we live in constant fear if "messing up"?

Thus really hit home for me so I wanted to share it with you. I hope God uses it to speak to you also.

Be blessed!
Alesha <3

No comments:

Post a Comment